Table of Contents
Invoice statuses let you know where an invoice is in the payment cycle. Invoice actions are the steps you can take on an invoice to update it or change the status. This article goes over what the invoice statuses are and what actions you can take on an invoice.
There are 5 possible statuses that an invoice can have and they will show in a label next to the invoice icon at the top left of the invoice. The actions that can be performed on an invoice depend on its status.
The invoice statuses are:
- Draft: The invoice has been created, but hasn't been sent to a client or marked as sent
- A draft invoice will move into the next status when it is sent (either by email or text message), or marked as sent.
- Awaiting Payment: The invoice has been sent to a client, and has not been paid yet. The invoice due date has also not passed yet.
- Past Due: The invoice is past its due date, and hasn't been paid for, or marked Paid
- Paid: A payment for the full invoice balance has been applied, or the invoice has been manually marked as Paid
- Bad Debt: This invoice has been deemed partly or fully uncollectible. Either part of the remaining balance or the full invoice balance has been marked as bad debt to close out the invoice and remove it from the client’s billing history. The invoice remains in Jobber for your records.
Invoice overview & filters
From the invoices page (invoice tab from the side navigation), you have an overview that breaks down the invoices in different statuses. This overview gives you a quick glance at what statuses your invoices are currently in. Clicking each of these statuses will filter the invoices list to only show the invoices in this status.
There are also filter options along the top of the invoices page that allows you to sort by:
- Due: when they due date falls. You can set a custom date range or use a preset.
- Sort: options to sort the list by status, due date, invoice number, first name, or last name.
- Type: sort by invoice statuses.
Actions on invoices
When an invoice has been created and is out of draft status, there are a number of actions that can be performed on it.
There are three buttons that show what the primary and secondary actions are as well as more action. In this case, the primary action is to Collect Payment on the invoice, but you can also still make edits or chose from a menu of other action.
Collect Payment: This appears beside the More Actions button and allows you to enter and apply a payment directly to the invoice. Collecting payments in this was reduces the payment amount from the invoice balance. Once the full invoice balance has been paid through this button, the invoice status will automatically change to Paid. Learn more about how to collect payments on invoices.
Edit: This appears beside the More Actions button. This will open the invoice edit page to allow for changes to be made
More actions menu
- Text Message: This will send the invoice to your client in a text message. The client will receive a text with a link to the client hub where they can view the invoice.
- E-mail to Client, or Resend E-mail to Client: This will allow you to email the invoice to your client. Learn more about Sending Invoices.
- Download PDF: This will open a PDF of the Invoice that you can download or print. Learn more about PDF Configuration settings.
- Push to QuickBooks: This will flag this Invoice to sync with your QuickBooks Online account when you next sync
- Collect Signature: This will allow you to collect your client's signature on the invoice. A PDF of the invoice with the signature attached to it will be saved in the Internal Notes and Attachments for that invoice.
- Close Invoice: Closing the invoice will give you three options:
- With a Payment: This is the same as clicking Collect Payment. You will be prompted to enter the payment details and the invoice balance will be updated.
- Bad Debt: This will change the invoice status to Bad Debt, deeming it uncollectible and removing it from Awaiting Payment and Past Due lists. If an invoice has been partially paid, marking it as Bad Debt will only affect the remaining balance owed.
- Without a Payment: This will change the invoice status to Paid, but won't record a payment against it so the invoice balance will still look like it's owing.
- Note: This option works best if you are keeping track of client balances and payments outside of Jobber, but otherwise clicking Collect Payment is a better option since it updates the invoice status and the invoice balance.