How Items Sync Between Jobber and Xero
Once you have set up your Xero sync in Jobber, you can begin to sync different pieces of information.
Syncing is always triggered manually. We’ve designed our sync this way so that you’re never accidentally pushing or pulling information from one system to another. You’ll need to click the Sync Now! button from your Sync & Settings page every time you want to move information.
If an error occurs with your sync, you will be notified on the Sync & Settings page as well as by email.
This article will cover how the following items sync:
- Clients vs Customers vs Contacts
- Services & Products
In Jobber you can select which items you would like to sync with Xero. To do this, click the Xero Icon > Sync & Settings
Clients are the core of our Xero sync, so they cannot be unchecked.
These items sync both ways between Jobber and Xero:
- Only Customers not Contacts will sync from Xero to Jobber
In Xero there are Contacts and Customers, a Contact becomes a Customer once they have been invoiced. Only Customers will sync to Jobber. Changes made in Xero will be the source of truth, if you are changing the contact details of a client the changes should be made in Xero and a sync should be run to update Jobber.
If you already have Clients entered in Jobber that exist as Customers in Xero, there is a high risk your sync will create duplicate records. Before you sync clients for the first time, we strongly recommend that either your Jobber account or Xero account is free of clients/customers. If you need help wiping out the existing clients in your Jobber account, contact us and we can help.
When a sync is taking place, Jobber looks at the First and Last Name fields to try and determine if they are the same client/customer.
- Xero is the source of truth for this sync, if changes need to be made to the Billing Address of a client it must be done in Xero
- Clients will appear as a Company in Jobber if there is only a Contact name in Xero and no first or last name, or if the Contact name is different from the first and last name
Properties in Jobber and Xero
A Postal Address in Xero is the same as the Billing Address in Jobber. The Street Address in Xero is the Service Address in Jobber. Changes made in Jobber will be brought over to Xero. If a client has "Billing address is the same as property address" checked off in Jobber, that client will have no Postal Address in Xero.
Services & Products
- Sync both ways between Jobber and Xero
- In Xero Services and Products are called Inventory
- Only Active Services & Products in Xero will sync to Jobber
- Xero is the source of truth for this sync, if changes need to be made to the name, description, or price, it must be done in Xero
- When adding a line item make sure that you do not create a custom line item. This will not sync, they need to exist in your Services & Products list in Jobber
- In Xero the name of the Service & Product will be the Item Code in Xero. There is a limit of 30 characters. Anything longer will not sync
- The description in Jobber will be the Sales Description in Xero. Changes must be made in Xero and then a sync run for it to update in Jobber
- Sync one-way from Jobber into Xero
- Xero does not support one-off custom line items, these must be added to your Services & Products list for the invoice to sync
- Xero does not support $ amount discounts. Only percentage discounts can be applied to invoices
There are two ways that you can set up your invoices to sync:
1) Sync Selected Invoices - these will only be invoices that you have chosen specifically to sync to Xero by clicking Actions > Push to Xero from the invoice
2) Push Invoice to Xero when marked sent - any invoices that have been marked as sent (no longer in Draft state) will be sent over to Xero on your next sync
After an invoice has been synced, any edits made to it in Jobber will not sync over to Xero.
- Payments do not sync between Jobber and Xero
- To keep the balances correct in both Jobber and Xero, payments will have to be recorded in both programs
- If an invoice is paid in Xero the ‘Paid status’ will sync back to Jobber, however the actual payment will not. The invoice in Jobber will be marked as paid but the balance of the invoice will remain on the client’s account in Jobber
The Jobber Glossary
Confused by language we use in Jobber? Definitions right this way.Get Reading!
Sign up for a Webinar
Tutorials for both those new to Jobber and long-time power users.Sign Me Up!
We walk you through our biggest features and point out the essentials.Let’s Watch!