Table of Contents
- Create an invoice
- Editing a draft invoice
- Review and send invoice
- Collect payment
- Collect a signature
- Invoices list
- Deleting an invoice
You and your team can run your day-to-day operations from anywhere with our iOS and Android mobile apps. Available on the Apple App Store and Google Play Store.
The updated app shown in this article will be rolling out to all users in October. If your apps are set to automatically update, you will get it once the updates are available to your account and your app has been updated to the latest version available at that time.
This article covers functionality that's available with the updated Jobber App. If you are not using the updated app yet, check out Creating an Invoice in the Jobber App.
If you are interested in moving you and your team onto the updated app, start a chat and let our support team know!
Create an invoice
There are multiple ways to create an invoice in the Jobber App:
- Creating an invoice from the quick create menu
- Marking a visit complete
- From a job in "requires invoicing" status
- From a client's profile
Create an invoice from the quick create menu
One way to make an invoice is from the quick create menu. You can create an invoice from the quick create menu, which you can access by clicking the green plus sign in the bottom right corner of the app.
Tap the + icon, then select Invoice.
Invoices created from the quick create menu are not linked to any jobs or visits. This means that they will be blank and you'll have to fill out the information on them, including the client. Invoices created from the quick create menu are associated with the client's billing address, they will not have the property address on them since the property address comes from the job.
Jump ahead to the Edit a draft invoice section to learn more about filling out the fields on an invoice.
Create an invoice by marking a visit complete
Depending on the invoicing frequency you set up when creating a job, you might be prompted to invoice after completing a visit in the app. Here's how to set up your jobs to see this prompt:
- For one-off jobs, the option to Remind me to invoice when I close the job needs to be enabled. When the final visit in the job is completed, you will be prompted to invoice.
- For recurring jobs, the invoice schedule needs to be set to invoice When a visit is marked complete.
Learn more about how to set up Jobs in the Jobber App.
To mark a visit complete, click on the visit from the schedule then click Complete Visit. You'll then see a prompt with options to Invoice now, or Invoice later. If you choose to invoice later, the job will go into Requires Invoicing status and can be invoiced for later. Tap Invoice now, to start creating an invoice.
After tapping Invoice now, you will see a draft invoice with the same line items that were on the job.
Create an invoice from a job in "requires invoicing" status
If a job is in "requires invoicing" status, an invoice can be generated from the job. Jobs are put into required invoicing status based on the invoicing frequency that you set up while creating a job.
Tap Generate Invoice to create a draft invoice. The invoice will be created with the line items from this job.
If your job was created with a repeating schedule (also known as a recurring job) and with visit-based billing, tapping Generate Invoice will bring you to a list of visits that haven't been invoiced for yet. Here you can select which visits you'd like to include on the invoice. Visits can be filtered by their status including all statuses, late, completed, and upcoming. To filter, tap the buttons at the top of the page.
Once you have selected the visits to be included on the invoice, tap Next.
The line items from the visits will be pulled onto the invoice, as well as the service date for each line item for jobs with a repeating schedule.
Create an invoice from a client's profile
Navigate to a client by tapping Clients from the bottom menu and then searching the client name or selecting them from the list. From the client's profile, tap +Create, then select New invoice. This invoice will already be assigned to the client it was created from.
Edit a draft invoice
No matter how you're creating a new invoice, it will be made as a draft invoice. Depending on how the invoice was created, there may be some fields already filled in but these can be edited if needed.
The fields are:
- Tap + to add a client to this invoice.
- If you are creating the invoice from a visit or job, the client will already be filled in with the same client from the visit or job.
- Invoice details
- Tap Edit to fill out or edit the invoice details.
- Enter an Invoice title to add a subject line for the invoice.
- By default the Issued date will be the date the invoice is sent to the client. However, this can be edited to be a Custom date where you can select another date from a calendar.
- Enter the Payment due date. By default this will be the payment terms you've set up in Jobber online from Settings > Work Settings, however it can be updated for this invoice.
- If you have any invoice custom fields, these can be edited from the invoice details.
- Line items:
- Tap + to add line items to this invoice
- To edit existing line items, tap the line item. Fields that can be edited include the line item name, description, unit price, quantity, and service date.
- To remove a line item from this invoice, tap Edit then Remove.
- Tap Discount to add a discount to this invoice either as a Percent (%) of the invoice subtotal or a Fixed ($) dollar amount.
- Tax rate:
- If you have a default tax rate set up for your account, that will appear. However, if your client's property has a tax rate associated with it, that will be used.
- Tap the tax rate to open a menu with options to Remove tax rate or Replace with another. When replacing a tax rate, you'll have options to Create tax rate an search from a list of your already created tax rates. Tax rates can be set up in Jobber online from Settings > Company Settings.
- The total is calculated automatically based on the sum of the line items, discounts, and tax rates.
- Tap + to add a payment on this invoice. Any already collected payments towards the invoice balance will appear in the payments section.
- Client message:
- Tap + to add a client message. This might be a note to your client thanking them for their business, any other details about the work that you performed, or information about how to make a payment.
If the invoice was created from a visit or job, there will be some fields already filled in based on the information from the job. These fields are:
- Created from job #
- Property details:
- Billing address
- Property address
Review and send invoice
Your invoice will remain in draft status so you can continue making edits until the invoice is sent. When you're ready to send the invoice, tap Review & Send.
This will open a preview of the invoice so you can see a sneak peek of how it will look when your client views the invoice in client hub. In client hub your client will be able to interact with it, including making a payment or downloading a copy of the invoice PDF.
Tap Next to open a menu with options to Send by text message or Send by email.
Send by text message
Select Send by text message to text your client a link to the invoice. If the client's primary (starred) phone number can receive text messages, that phone number will already be filled in as the recipient of this text message. To send the invoice to additional people, enter each of their phone numbers as well. If you don't know a client's phone number off the top of your head, you can search using their name instead of entering their phone number.
For both text messages and emails, the recipient that is selected by default will be either the client's primary phone number (must be text message enabled to send a text) or their primary (starred) email address.
There is a default message that is sent with the invoice that is set up in Jobber online from Settings > Templates. This message can be customized for this text message only in the Text invoice preview screen, so you can add in any additional details. Text messages have a limit of 1600 characters.
Note: Any recipients of this text will be able to view the invoice in client hub and will also receive invoice follow-up texts as well.
Send by email
The client's primary(starred) email address will already be filled in as the recipient of this email. To change the recipients, tap the X to remove any already entered recipients, then enter the new email addresses(es). To add a CC, tap the CC icon then enter their email address(es).
Note: Any recipients of this email will be able to view the invoice in client hub and will also receive invoice follow-up texts as well. CC'd recipients will not receive follow-ups.
The template for the message in the body of the email is set up in Jobber online from Settings > Templates. However, if you need to customize the template message to have information relevant to the invoice you're sending, the email can be edited from the Email invoice preview screen before it is sent.
Turn the toggle for Send me a copy to ON to BCC the email address that you log into Jobber with a copy of the emailed invoice.
If you are sending the invoice by email and you would like to add additional attachments to the email, from the attachments section tap + to upload files from your device. By default, the invoice PDF is not included as an attachment but if you would like to send it along with the email, in the Add attachments screen check the box for the invoice PDF to send it as an attachment.
Note: There is a 10MB size limit for attachments sent by email.
Tap Send Email to send the recipients the email.
After you send the invoice to your client the status will change to "Awaiting Response". To send the invoice again, tap Resend.
If you are getting paid in person, tap Collect Payment to record the payment details from your client or charge a card using Jobber Payments. If you are not getting paid in person, another payment option is for clients to pay online through Jobber Payments.
There are fields to enter the:
- payment method
- Jobber Payments (select this option if you are charging the client's card)
- credit card
- bank transfer
- money order
- payment amount (edit this amount if you are receiving a partial payment)
- transaction date
- specific details depending on payment method (for example, check number)
- details (this can be any notes you want to remember about this payment)
Once all the details been entered, tap Save.
Once the payment is saved, you'll see an overview of the payment details. Tap Email receipt to send your client a copy of the receipt. Clients are also able to see their payment receipts in client hub, so if they need a record of this receipt in the future, they can download or print it from client hub.
The receipt shows:
- The transaction date
- Payment details
- Paid through
- Applied to
- Receipt sent date
Note: In Jobber online, from the Gear Icon > Settings > Jobber Payments, there is a setting for Email my client a receipt after every successful payment or refund. When this is turned on, if your client pays via Jobber Payments they will automatically receive a receipt so you don't need to worry about manually sending them one. The button reads Resend Receipt when you've already sent a receipt to this client, with the receipt sent date listed down below.
Tap the back arrow to navigate back to the invoice.
Payments on an invoice balance will be reflected in the Payments section of the invoice. This includes both deposits and payments.
If the payment method is Jobber Payments, you'll see options to either use a saved credit card on file or fill out the card details. If you have a Jobber Card Reader, you can also charge cards by tapping, swiping, or inserting them into the card reader. The card reader also support Apple Pay and Google Pay.
Learn more about Jobber Payments in the Jobber App.
Collect a signature
Click More Actions (...)> Collect Signature to have the client sign the invoice in person. A PDF of the signed invoice is saved as a note on this invoice.
A signature pad will open where your client can draw their signature with their finger.
To view a list of all the invoices in your Jobber account, navigate to the Clients tab from the bottom menu. From the client's list, tap Invoices to view a list of your invoices. The list will show the most recent 100 invoices, but items beyond the most 100 recent can be pulled up from the search. You can search by using:
- Client name
- Client phone number
- Custom field entry
- Line item
- Invoice number
- Invoice subject line
The invoice list will indicate the status each invoice is in, so you'll know at a quick glance which invoices have been sent, paid, or are still awaiting payment.
The statuses an invoice can be in are:
- Draft: The invoice has been created, but hasn't been sent to a client or marked as sent
- A draft invoice will move into the next status when it is sent (either by email or text message), or marked as sent.
- Awaiting Payment: The invoice has been sent to a client, and has not been paid yet. The invoice due date has also not passed yet.
- Past Due: The invoice is past its due date, and hasn't been paid for, or marked Paid
- Paid: A payment for the full invoice balance has been applied, or the invoice has been manually marked as Paid
- Bad Debt: An invoice in bad debt status has been deemed partly or fully uncollectible. Either part of the remaining balance or the full invoice balance has been marked as bad debt to close out the invoice and remove it from the client’s billing history. The invoice remains in Jobber for your records.
Deleting an invoice
If you need to delete an invoice from the app, navigate to the invoice and tap More actions (...) > Delete Invoice.