What is the card reader?
Accept debit and credit payments in person using the Jobber Card Reader.
The card reader is a device exclusive to Jobber Payments, so you’ll need to sign up for Jobber Payments. It’s free to sign up for, and you only pay a small fee on each transaction. The card reader pairs with the Jobber app.
The Jobber card reader allows you to quickly, easily, and securely take cards in person using the mobile app. Since this is a card present transaction, we are able to offer a 0.2% discount on your fees for the transactions you process through Jobber Payments. The card reader accepts credit cards (swipe, tap, and chip), Apple Pay, and Google Pay.
This is how the fees break down, per plan:
- 2.5% + 30c per transaction on Grow plans
- 2.7% + 30c per transaction on Connect plans
- 2.9% + 30c per transaction on Core plans
Note: the card reader is currently only available in the United States.
Jobber card readers can be ordered from our store. Each user does not need to have their own device, so if your users work in teams they could share a device.
Bluetooth will need to be turned on to use the card reader, however you do not need to pair the card reader with Bluetooth in your settings. Just make sure that when you are using the app that Bluetooth is turned on. Wifi isn't needed to use the card reader itself, but you do need to have an internet connection to use the Jobber app so you will need to make sure that you have an internet connection to be able to collect a payment.
Turn the card reader on. There is an on button on the right side of the device.
Once Bluetooth and the card reader are both turned on, the card reader will be ready to collect payments! On an invoice in Jobber, when you click Collect Payment you will see the card reader as an option.
The devices run off of their own battery so we suggest charging the device once a day. You can monitor the battery life of the card reader from the batter indicator in the bottom left corner of the app.
If you have any issues with the card reader, please reach out to our Success Team! A good first troubleshooting step is to make sure that you are on the most recent version of the app. You can check this by going to the app store on your device and checking if there is an update.
Once you have the card reader setup, when you click Collect Payment on the app screen you will have the option for "Credit Card - Pay with Reader". You will then be prompted to turn your card reader on, and once the app and card reader are connected you will be prompted to swipe, tap, or inset the client's card.
If you don't want to use the card reader, you can select the option for "Credit Card - Fill Out Form" and you will be able to type in the card details in order to charge the client's card.
Your account can be setup automatically to send receipts after each transaction. This setting can be found in Jobber Online when you go to the Gear Icon > Settings > Jobber Payments > Settings.
Card reader light
There is an LED light right above the on button. The light shows the card reader's status.
- No light: The card reader is not turned on.
- Solid blue: The card reader is connected to your mobile device. The card reader will stay connected to your device for 30 seconds before going into standby mode.
- Flashing blue (1 second apart): The card reader is turned on and ready to connect to your mobile device. The card reader will wait to be connected for 5 minutes before powering off to save battery life.
- Flashing blue (every 5 seconds): The card reader is in standby mode. After 10 hours of inactivity, the card reader turns off to save battery life.
- Solid red: The card reader is either charging or turning on.
- Flashing red: The card reader's battery is low.
- Quickly flashing blue and red: The card reader is finished installing a software update.
There is a one year warranty for the card reader through Stripe, starting on the date of your purchase. If your device is faulty, please reach out to us at email@example.com and we will submit the warranty request.