Table of Contents
This article for fieldworkers covers what you might need while out on the job site and covers your day-to-day workflow. For roles that involve invoicing and collecting payments while out in the field, there is a section that covers how to create invoices and collect payments. If your role involves some service manager or team lead responsibilities, there is a section that covers how to use the app to view your client list and job statuses. Since your work typically happens outside of the office, these features will cover the Jobber App.
This article is part of a series on how Jobber Works for Different Roles in a Company. This article covers a fieldworker role, but check out our other articles that cover:
- An overview
- Company owners or admin roles
- Admin or dispatcher roles
- Sales roles
- Fieldworker roles (📍You are here)
Jobber Quick Guides
Want a copy of this article to share with your team? Download the PDF version so you can print and take it on the road with you.
For team members who work in the field, download the Jobber Quick Guide for Fieldworks: Day-to-Day. This covers seeing and managing your schedule, getting work done, and your end of day. There's also a checklist to make sure you're confident in using the Jobber App for your role.
Download the Day-to-Day Quick Guide
For those who work in the field and also handle invoicing and payments, download the Jobber Quick Guide for Fieldworkers: Invoicing and Payments. This covers seeing and managing your schedule, getting work done, how to invoice and collect payments in the field, and your end of day. There's also a checklist to make sure you're familiar with the tools in the Jobber App that will support you.
Download the Invoicing & Payments Quick Guide
Clock in at the start of your day and then into any jobs along the way to prep your timesheet for the day. View your schedule for the day to see all your upcoming appointments for the day.
Start your day by clocking in
If you are working for a company that is tracking your time through the Jobber app, you will want to start your day at work by clocking in using the general timer. This can be found from the Time Sheet tab on the bottom of the app.
From the Time Sheet tab, tap Clock In to start the general timer. At the end of the day, you will return to this page to Clock Out.
Later in the day, you'll see your time entries appear on the Time Sheet tab as you start and stop timers throughout the day. If you need to edit any of your time entries including adding a note, tap Edit on the time entry.
View your schedule
Tap the Schedule tab from the menu on the bottom of the app. This is where you will see what is on your calendar for today. Jobs appear here as well as any tasks, events, or requests where an assessment has been scheduled.
There are three schedule views:
- A day view where you see one day at a time and items on the schedule are blocked off based on their duration with anytime visits at the top.
- A week view where you see the full week with columns for each day of the week. Schedule items are blocked off based on their duration with anytime visits at the top.
- A list view where schedule items appear as cards in a list. The cards are ordered by time with schedule items at the top of the list and anytime visits below.
The view options on the schedule are a tool that you can use to choose how to display your schedule and what information to show. To add or remove options from your schedule, tap the View options icon.
There are three categories of view options:
- Select the day, list, week views of the schedule.
- On the week view, set the toggle to ON to hide weekends and instead show Monday through Friday.
- Team members
- If you have permissions that allow you to use team view, you can see other colleagues schedules by adding additional team members to the list view or the day view. Select team members to view their schedules side-by-side. Scroll to the right to view all team member's schedules.
From any of the schedule views, tap the Month in the app heading to open a calendar that you can use to view another date. Using the arrows in the top right of the calendar, navigate to another month, then tap the date you'd like to view.
If you've navigated away from the current date, tap Today in the top right of the app to jump back to the current day.
Doing the work
On the appointment
When you select one of the visits or assessments from the schedule, you will be able to see the appointment details. This screen shows an overview of who the client is, the job or visit title, and where you're going. There are also icons here to call the client or send them an "on my way" text message. This is also where you can open your favorite map app to get directions.
Note: If you cannot see the option to send an "on my way" text message, it's because the client doesn't have a text-enabled phone number.
From the top of the visit, there are options to:
- Back arrow: navigate back to the schedule.
- Phone icon: call this client (their primary phone number will be used).
- Text message icon: send an on my way text message or on select plans, send a text message.
- Visit icon: this icon indicates what type of schedule item this is:
- Green truck (icon): Visit
- Blue clipboard (icon): Task
- Yellow calendar (icon): Event
- Indigo inbox (icon): Request
- Job status
- Job or visit title
- Property address: this is where you're going and where this visit takes place. Tap the address to copy the address or open the property in Apple Maps, Google Maps, or Waze.
- Schedule start date
- Actions on this visit
- Start Timer: this button starts a visit timer. This time will be visible from the Time Sheet tab.
- Complete Visit: this action completes the visit. If you have set this job to invoice per visit, you may be prompted to invoice.
- ... : These are additional actions on this visit:
- Get directions: This opens the scheduling app of your choice with directions to the property address.
- Schedule new visit: This opens the New visit screen where an additional visit for this job can be added.
- Delete visit: Remove this visit. This option deletes only the visit, not the job.
- Directions icon: Tap to open directions to the property address in Apple Maps, Google Maps, or Waze.
As part of your work, you may need to start a visit timer to log your time on this job. To start a time, tap Start Timer. If you already had a general timer running, starting the visit timer will pause the general timer and log your time on this visit instead. When you are finished, stop the timer by tapping the same button which will now show the logged time.
Adding a note
While on the visit, you may need to leave a note or upload attachments like photos. To add a note, tap the Notes tab, then Add note.
From the New Note screen, enter the note in the section for Write a note to your team. This section will expand to fit your note if you write more than one line.
When adding a note, you have the option to attach files to the note. These might be images or any other files you want to associate with this work. Tap the + icon to attach a file to this note.
Images can be added from your device's camera roll or taken in the moment. Make sure your device has given the Jobber App permission to access your photos (this is found in your device settings).
Fill out job forms
There might be a job form on some visits, which is a checklist or form to be filled out while you're at the visit. Tap on the job form to fill out the job form.
Job forms can have different field types so you might need to select from a dropdown, fill out a text field, or check some boxes in order to fill it out. Once you've entered all the information you need to, tap Save to save your entries. If you need to send the client a copy of the job form, tap ... to save and send an email copy to your client all in one go. Before the email is sent, you'll have an opportunity to look the email over.
Note: If you complete a visit with a job form but haven't filled the job form out, an alert will pop up as a reminder that the job form is blank and you may need to fill it out. Tap Cancel to return to the visit, or Complete visit to move ahead with completing the visit without filling out the job form.
Stop the timer and complete the visit
Once you're done all the work on the visit, tap Complete visit. If you had a visit timer running, now you can stop it. If you clocked in to the general timer at the start of the day, it will now start back up and run until your next visit timer starts or if you clock out.
After completing the visit, if you have the user permissions to create an invoice, you may be prompted to invoice depending on how this job was set up. There are options to:
- Close job & invoice now: This closes the job and creates a draft invoice based on this job.
- Close job & invoice later: This closes the job and leaves it in "requires invoicing" status. If you aren't the one making the invoice, this is a good way to flag for the office that this job needs to be billed.
- Leave job open: The job will remain open, but the visit will be completed. This might be the option you'd select if more visits need to be scheduled or if there is still work to be done.
If your role involves invoicing and collecting payments, scroll ahead to the invoicing and payments section.
If you're ready to tackle your next appointment now that this visit is done, tap the Schedule tab from the bottom menu to see what else is on the go for today.
Invoicing and payments
If your role also includes invoicing while out in the field, here is how to create an invoice and collect payment.
When a visit is completed, you will see a prompt to invoice from the bottom menu, select Close job & invoice now. The line items from the job will appear on the invoice, if you need to make any changes or add additional details, tap each line item to edit. Additional line items can be added by tapping +.
When the invoice is created, it will be in draft status. To send it to the client by text message or email tap Review & Send.
If the client is there with you and they're ready to pay, click Collect Payment to record the payment details.
The invoice total will already be entered, however this can be edited to collect a partial payment rather than the full invoice balance. Tap Payment amount to change how much you're collecting.
There are several payment method options:
- Credit card (through Jobber Payments)
- If the client has any saved cards on file, select from those cards rather than entering the card details manually.
- To charge a new card, select Add new card to enter card details and charge the client's card through Jobber Payments. To save the card for future use, enable the toggle for Keep this card on file.
- Jobber card reader
- We also offer aCard Reader which allows your clients to pay via Apple or Google Pay as well as by credit card. With the card reader we are also able to offer at 0.2% discount on your credit card fees for transactions processed through the card reader.
- Offline payment methods including cash, check, bank transfer, money order, or other
- Note:The offline payment methods create a record that you've accepted payment outside of Jobber, you are not charging the client by selecting one of these methods.
After entering your payment method, to add any other information (such as the date, check number, etc) tap the Details field.
To collect a signature or delete the invoice, tap ... for more actions on this invoice.
End of day
When you are done work for the day, go back to the Time Sheet tab on the bottom menu. Tap the button to Clock Out. This stops the general timer for the day and ends any visit timers that might be running.
If you are in a team lead or service manager role, where you're also working in the field you likely have some responsibilities that relate to staying on top of job progress and working with clients to resolve any inquiries they have about the work. One way to track progress is from the Clients tab in the app.
The Clients tab in the app shows clients that have recently had work done, which comes in handy for those times you know you've recently visited a client but can't quite remember their name or the details.
Beyond just clients, you can also view recently updated requests, quotes, jobs, and invoices. This client list shows to users who have the user permissions to view all clients, or the worker default permission (or higher).
The clients tab is located in the bottom menu in the app beside the quick create icon.
To search your client list in the app, tap Clients from the bottom menu.
The Clients tab shows the 100 most recent clients or work items that have been recently updated in Jobber, but other items can be pulled up using the search.
These are the items that can be searched:
- Client name
- Client phone number
- Custom field entry
- Line item
- Quote/job/invoice number
- Subject or description
- Request titles
- Client notes
- Transaction number
To narrow down the list even more, different work items can be tapped from the top of the list to show only that type of item. For example, tapping Quotes would remove requests, jobs, and invoices from the list and only show quotes. The list will show the most recent 100 items of that type, but items beyond the most 100 recent can be pulled up from the search.
Note: The search results vary based on what item you've selected to search. For example, property addresses can only be searched when clients are selected.
The status for each item will show in the list, so you'll know at a glance which items will need to be followed up with including scheduling an unscheduled job.
Now that you've read about the features that support your role working in the field, it's time to get comfortable using them. Use this checklist to familiarize yourself with the tools that will support your day-to-day.
✅ Clock into the general timer in the app to start your day.
✅ View your schedule in the app and tap on a visit. Familiarize yourself with where to start a job timer, leave a note, as well as where to view and fill out a job form.
✅ From the visit, locate where to send an on my way message.
If you invoice as part of your role:
✅ Generate an invoice from a job.
✅ Familizarize yourself with collecting payment and how to change the payment method and amount.
If you're a team lead or service manager:
✅ Navigate to the clients list in the app and view your ongoing work.