Create a job, choose a client, and assign it to your team with only a few clicks. Scheduling in Jobber gives you the flexibility you need to book jobs, tasks, and events—faster.
In Jobber, creating a job is how you will populate your calendar with work, so let's get that calendar filled up. Using jobs you can create your schedule for when you will be doing the work, assign team members, set up the products and services you're offering, and create a schedule for when the client will be billed.
You can create a job from the dashboard, calendar, jobs page, or client by clicking More Actions > New Job.
There are two types of jobs in Jobber:
- One-Off Jobs - Jobs with one visit, or multiple visits, but without a repeating schedule. (Eg. Spring clean up, move-out clean, HVAC repair), and one final invoice. Learn how to set up a one-off job.
- Recurring Jobs - Jobs with multiple visits that are done periodically, or on a repeating schedule, with one or multiple invoices. (Eg. Weekly cleaning, snow removal, monthly lawn mowing). Learn how to set up a recurring job.
These jobs have different visit schedules, but one of the main differences between them is the billing frequency. One-off jobs are typically billed once at the end of the service, whereas recurring jobs will be billed multiple times such as after each visit, weekly, or monthly.
The jobs page gives you a list of your jobs, an overview, as well as buttons for actions you can take from this page. This page can be used to monitor the statuses of your jobs to make sure that nothing is slipping through the cracks.
Creating a job
You can create the following items when setting up a job for the first time:
- Job title and instructions
- Line items
- Invoicing schedule
Job title and instructions
Below the client name heading on a job, there is a field for job title and instructions for this job. On each job, you can set a title. This is often used as a short description of a job.
The next field is for instructions. This is where you can enter directions for your team for this job. The instructions field will appear on every visit for this job, but the instructions can also be edited on a visit by visit basis.
To add a line item to a job, click the 'Add Line Item' button on the right. You can select items you from your services and products list, or create a custom line item.
A custom line item will not be added to your Services and Products List, unless you click 'Add to Services and Products'.
There is a difference between a job and a visit. A job is the contract of work you are doing, whereas a visit is when you are going out to the client's property to do the work. A job may contain either one or many visits.
Visits are created when the job is created based on the schedule. You can also add another visit to the job manually. In the visits section of the job, click the New Visit button.
It's possible to make an update to only one visit rather than the full job. To do this, you'll want to edit the visit either from the calendar or from the visits section of the job. Making an update here only changes this one specific visit. However, if you make an update to the job (such as changing the instructions) this overwrites the visits.
Recurring jobs will ask you how you want to invoice (per visit or fixed price), as well as when you'd like to invoice. The invoicing schedule you set up here is what generates invoice reminders that will prompt you to invoice for this job. If you are using automatic payments, the invoicing schedule created here controls when your clients will be invoiced automatically and charged.
To make any changes to the overall job, click the Edit button located between Generate Invoice and More Actions. These options will appear in the top right of the job screen. On the edit screen, you can change the job description, custom fields, job number, schedule, invoice schedule, and line items. You can also delete the job from this screen. Learn more about editing jobs.
Associating information with jobs
There are items that can be associated with a job, but don't appear on the job create page. These items can be added to a job from the job itself:
- Costs (time entries and expenses)
- Invoices and invoice reminders
- Internal notes and attachments
- Chemical tracking
To add a timesheet entry or an expense entry to a job, click the 'New' button on the 'Team Costs' box.
Notes and attachments
To add a note to a job, enter the note into the internal notes section and click 'Save'. You can add an attachment by clicking 'Upload File'.
To delete a note click on it, then click the delete button in the bottom left. To delete an attachment on a note, click on the note and click the garbage can icon to the right of it.
To create a new chemical record, click Record Treatment from the Chemical Tracking box on the job. Learn more about Chemical Tracking.
Billing (invoices and invoice reminders)
Invoice reminders are created as a part of the job based on the invoicing frequency that you set up. To create a new invoice or invoice reminder, click 'New' from the Billing section on the job. You can also make an invoice by clicking Generate Invoice in the top right on the job.
Actions on jobs
- Close job: To close (or cancel) a job, click More Actions > Close Job. If the job needs to be invoiced, then it will go to the Requires Invoicing status, once it has been invoiced it will then show as Archived. If the job does not need to be invoiced then it will go to Archived status right after being closed. If there are any incomplete visits you will be prompted to either remove or complete them.
Note: If you have automatic payments turned on, completing visits will charge the client if you are invoicing per visit.
- Reopen job: If a job is closed and archived but needs to be reopened and scheduled again, click Reopen Job beside the More Actions button in the top right of the job.
- Generate invoice: To make an invoice for the job click the Generate Invoice button located in the top right of the job.
Note: You can generate more than one invoice on a job. Creating an invoice does not close the job.
- Download PDF: This will open the PDF in a separate tab in your browser. You can customize the job PDF in your PDF style settings
- Collect signature: This will bring up the signature pad that your client can sign. Check the box Send your client a copy to email the job PDF with their signature attached.
Note: The signed PDF will be saved in the 'Internal Notes' section at the bottom of the job.
- Send job follow-up email: Send your client a job follow-up email to have your clients complete a survey and follow-up on the work completed.