Table of Contents
With a dedicated phone number, all of your automated text messages will come from the same phone number that belongs to your company. This means your clients can go ahead and add the number to their contacts so they always know it's you reaching out about their work. Prior to setting this up, your automated text messages will be sent from a pool of phone numbers.
Setting up a dedicated phone number enables two-way messaging, where you can communicate back-and-forth with your clients within Jobber.
This feature is available on select plans in the United States, Canada, and United Kingdom. Dedicated phone numbers are not available while in trial.
Only admin users can set up a dedicated phone number.
Set up your dedicated phone number
There are two steps to setting up your dedicated phone number:
- Step 1: Choose your number
- Step 2: Register your number
Step 1: Choose your number
There are three places where your phone number can be chosen:
- From Settings > Two-Way Text Messaging: If you are setting up your dedicated phone number from the settings menu, navigate to Settings > Two-Way Text Messaging, then click Get Started.
- When sending a text message (for example, texting a quote or invoice).
- From the message center.
If you are setting up your dedicated phone number from Settings > Two-Way Text Messaging, the prompt will look like this:
If you are setting up your dedicated phone number when texting a quote or invoice or from the message center, you will see this prompt:
In either case, the selection process for a phone number is the same.
The phone numbers you have to pick from are based on this priority:
- A number closest to your branding phone number
- A number closest to your address in Settings > Company Settings
- A number in your state or province
- A number in your country
Since you cannot change your dedicated number after selecting it, you will need to check the box for 'I understand' in order to save the number.
Then click Next Step to move to step 2 which is registering your number.
Step 2: Register your number
If you are based in the United States, you will be prompted to register your number. All businesses that use Application-to-Person text messaging via standard 10-digit long codes (also known as A2P 10DLC, or in this case, text messages sent via your dedicated phone number) are required in the United States to register their business's number. This regulation is part of an effort by carriers to prevent unwanted messages or spam from reaching their clients.
In order to ensure your communications are being received by your clients, you must register your dedicated phone number with the required information.
Here are a few things you can do to help reduce the chance of any delays on your registration:
- Ensure the website or social media link you provided is working. This is part of the approval process to ensure your organization is a legitimate business.
- Ensure the website or social media link you provided indicates your legally registered business name and address. If different, you can add this information to your website’s footer or as part of your Terms online. This will help support the validation that your business is legitimate.
- Use opt-in language on any online contact forms you have set up. If you don’t have this now, here’s what you can add to your form:
“By providing your phone number, you agree to receive text messages from Your Company Name. Message and data rates may apply. Message frequency varies.”
- If you use the request form through Jobber, we’ll be updating the form to reflect this shortly so you won’t have to!
In this step, you will be prompted to fill out a form to register your number. An admin user will need to enter:
- Business details
- Tax ID
- Business address
- Point of contact
- Website or social media link
Learn more about registering your number
This form will be visible to all admin users, but only one needs to complete it.
Once saved, your dedicated phone number will appear in the Dedicated phone number section of Settings > Two-Way Text Messaging. You can always refer back to it here in case you forget!
Calling a dedicated phone number
Dedicated phone numbers are meant for text messages only. If one of your clients calls your dedicated phone number instead of texting it, there are two different things that can happen depending on your account settings.
- If you have a phone number listed in Settings > Company Settings, any calls to your dedicated phone number will be forwarded to your phone number listed on this page.
- If you do not have a phone number set up in your company settings, your client will hear this automated message if they call your dedicated phone number:
Thank you for calling <company name>. The number you have dialed does not support calls. It is used for text messaging only at the moment.
Calls that are forwarded from your dedicated phone number to your company settings phone number will show the client's information on your caller ID so that you know who is calling.